9 Basic Foam Rolling Moves
Not sure how to use the foam roller? Here are 9 ways to add it to your warm up, cool down, or mobility routine.
Spend about 30 seconds on each area, each side so if you do all 9 moves, it should take you about 10 minutes.
Curious about what foam rolling is and what it does? Check out this article.
- Keep foot relaxed
- Rock leg side to side while slowly working from the ankle to the knee
- (optional) add pressure by stacking other leg on top
Hamstrings (back of thighs)
- Keep leg relaxed
- Rock leg side to side while moving from knee to bottom
- (optional) add pressure by stacking other leg
Quads (front of thighs)
- Keep leg relaxed and limit pressure by using your other knee and elbows for support
- Starting from knee, roll up and down 3 inches, then rock side to side 3 times, then bend your knee 1-3 times. Perform the rolling, rocking, bending in several spots while working up to your hips
IT band (side of thighs)
- Starting at your hips, work down to knee by rolling down 3 inches, up 1 inch; down 3 inches, up 1 inch, etc.
- Keep knee slightly bent
- Keep weight slightly forward onto side and front of thigh
Adductors (inner thighs)
- Roller parallel to your body
- Start at inner knee, work in to groin by rolling in 3 inches, out 1 inch; in 3 inches, out 1 inch, etc.
- Prop up right ankle on left knee, lean into right glutes
- Roll with hands behind head
- Hug yourself while rolling to get between shoulder blades (skip this if you have neck pain)
Lats (sides of torso)
- Lay at a slight angle with roller under armpit
- Roll up and down
- Rock side to side
- Lying lengthwise on roller, keeping low back neutral
- Reach arms up and over, drag elbows down to sides
- Repeat slowly 10 times
What was the tightest area for you?